Coaches and Assistant coaches
Coaching is critical to both the development and enjoyment of our young soccer players. Being a soccer coach, especially at an early age, does NOT require soccer experience. For many of you parents who will be out cheering every time your child plays, please consider becoming a coach.
Whyte Ridge Youth Soccer will help assist you in getting all the tools to help you give your child(ren) and their friends a great soccer experience. Whyte Ridge will reimburse you directly or via our parent organizations for taking any of the mandatory courses as detailed on the “Requirements for coaches and assistant coaches” page.
Starting 2022 all coaching personnel must be fully certified as per Canada Soccer regulations. This means that all our coaches must complete a criminal record check and one of the mandatory courses.
- be a registered coach during the season (sign up for free via the Manitoba Soccer form)
- complete: Criminal Record Check (and Child Abuse for youth soccer), Respect in Sport and one of the Coaching Workshops
- be part of a Whyte Ridge team (coaches that join other teams are not eligible) and actively involved in coaching
- maximum of 2 coaches per team
At the end of the season, qualifying coaches will receive:
- a partial refund of the registration fees: $50 – for youth soccer, $25 – for mini soccer
- a gift
- an invitation to the volunteer appreciation night (planned in late June at the community centre)
- Forming teams, transferring players in and out
- Coach and Assistant coach recruitment.
- Help parents and players with registration. You will be first-level support for them.
- Keep track of players’ numbers for each of your age groups.
- Attending community clubs swamp meetings (1 per season).
- Most of the work can be done through emails.
- Reporting back to Soccer Directors and Equipment managers when teams are ready.
- Work closely with Soccer Directors in Whyte Ridge. You will get all the required support from them and MSA (our parent organization) as needed.
- Your busiest time is usually 1-2 months before a new season starts. Once the soccer season starts, there is barely any work.
- provide a liaison between parents and the coach if a parent is uncomfortable
- sending game cancellations and updates. TeamSnap app/website is a good way to communicate with the team.
- provides referee with the list of all coaching personnel present at the game and players’ names present and dressed to play on the game sheet
- any additional help in organizing team events (scheduling practices, wrap-up parties, snack schedule etc) is welcome