Welcome to Whyte Ridge Youth Soccer (U9-U18) and Mini Soccer (U3-U8)
Whyte Ridge Soccer, a member of Winnipeg South End United club, offers recreational soccer from mini-soccer to U18. The games are competitive and fun and the outdoor season runs from early May to the end of June. Indoor soccer for ages 9-18 runs from mid-October till mid-March. Neighbourhood soccer is a great way to be outside in the beautiful spring weather and get involved with the Whyte Ridge community. The kids have fun, the parents can visit and everyone benefits from the fresh air.
Quick links to other pages
- Youth soccer (U9-U18) registration for the INDOOR season is now OPEN.
- Why play for Whyte Ridge Soccer?
- Rules for Youth soccer
- Team officials (roles)
- Whyte Ridge Soccer contacts
- Our sponsors
- Whyte Ridge teams photo gallery
- Soccer fields and practices scheduling
Mini Soccer (U3-U8 only)
Our major sponsors
2021 Outdoor PLATINUM Sponsor:
From left to right: Abby W., Mark P., Dr. Rana Shenkarow
Visit our sponsors’ page.
To provide an experience where kids fall in love with the game of soccer…a love that lasts a lifetime
Whyte Ridge is a thriving community of approximately 1,200 homes with an elementary and a middle school. Whyte Ridge Youth Soccer (WRYS) is a soccer club based in southwest Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and part of Whyte Ridge Community Centre (WRCC). We are part of Winnipeg District 1 soccer reporting to the Winnipeg South End United Soccer Club (WSEU) and are affiliated with Winnipeg Youth Soccer Association (WYSA) and the Manitoba Soccer Association (MSA).
We have over 300 players in our Mini Soccer league!
- It consists of five co-ed house leagues for 3-8 year-olds leagues.
- All games are played in May & June on fields within Whyte Ridge.
- Mini Soccer is only available during the spring/summer seasons.
We also have over 350 players in our Youth Soccer leagues.
- 9 – 12 year-olds play in the WSEU leagues.
- 13 – 18 year-olds play in the city-wide WYSA leagues.
- Youth soccer is available as both outdoor (spring/summer) and indoor (fall/winter).
Our goal is to promote the world’s most popular sport to the youth in our community. Keeping kids involved in and enjoying the game of soccer not just through the teenage years, but throughout adulthood is a primary aim of our program. With a tremendous volunteer base, we offer facilities, equipment, coaching, and a great environment for players of all ages.
As our enrollment grows, we are excited to offer information regarding our programs. Visit our site often and like us on FaceBook for up-to-date information on soccer in Whyte Ridge.
Whyte Ridge follows WYSA games format and regulations as described on their website – RECREATIONAL LEAGUE RULES (PDF document SECTION 7).
Teams will be formed based on the number of registered players. If numbers warrant, two or more teams might be formed. If they are to play in different divisions, they will be grouped based on the requirements of the division.
Players who are between 9 and 12 years old (by the end of the year) and playing with a Winnipeg South End United (WSEU) Developmental team (and you know who you are already!) must register with WSEU, not with Whyte Ridge. All other players playing in the WSEU Recreational League register with Whyte Ridge.
The schedule is provided by WYSA. Game days are NOT absolute and are subject to change depending on the number of registrations/teams. Each team will determine the exact number of soccer activities (practices) per week based upon the commitment level of both coach and players.
SUMMER 2021 SEASON FORMAT:
- All teams will compete in a round-robin format plus any additional matches for a total of 12 League matches.
- Matches will be scheduled during weekdays (MON-THURS) for May-August, and shift to limited weekend play after September 10th as there will not be enough daylight to complete a match during the week.
- Teams will typically play once per week with a second match at an odd time. No team will play 4 matches in any two-week window.
- Any match cancellations due to inclement weather will be played the following week Sunday to give teams at least one week’s notice.
- The first-place team upon the conclusion of the 12 League matches will be considered the “League Champion” and will be recognized with individual medals and trophies.
- There will not be a “playoff” portion to the season.
The outdoor season runs from the first week of May till the last week of June. The days of play for the Outdoor Recreational Seasons are as follows:
- Division U9 – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Division U10 – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Division U11 – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Division U12 – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Division U13 – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Division U14 – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Division U15 – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Division U16 – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Division U17 – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Division U18 – Monday and Wednesdays
Note that there may be some Friday evening and/or Sunday evening games in these age categories. Practice dates are determined by team coaches. We offer help coordinating fields’ availability. For more details please visit http://whyteridge.ca/wp-cc/sports/soccer/schedule/ page.
WINTER 2021/22 INDOOR format.
Indoor season runs from the last week of October till the last week of March.
Due to the limited number of indoor spaces, the days of play are most often impossible to predict. In previous seasons, U9 to U12 have typically played on weekends, with girls on Saturdays and boys on Sundays, at various times. U13 and up have played on any day of the week or on weekends – again girls typically on Saturday and boys on Sundays.
Practice dates and locations are determined by permits obtained from the Pembina Trails school division.
Whyte Ridge Youth Soccer uniform kits.
Each player on a youth (U9 to U18) Whyte Ridge team will be supplied a new uniform kit which is covered by the outdoor soccer budget. Upon registration please be sure to select the correct size for your player as we are unable to order another jersey or make exchanges. In order to keep our costs down, players who play both outdoor and indoor soccer will be reusing their outdoor jerseys for the indoor season.
- No more tattered jerseys and logos
- Yours to keep at the end of the soccer year (outdoor and indoor season)
- No more mismatched teammates, everyone will wear the same uniform.
Main page – Whyte Ridge Soccer registration
Registration usually starts about a month before the District (WSEU or WYSA) cut-off date and will be open for approximately one month. During the first two weeks of registration, offline payments (cash or cheque) will be accepted. Online payments will be accepted for the entire registration period. Registration is NOT complete until payment has been received. The registration deadlines will be posted on the website for each registration season.
There will be no registrations after the cut-off date unless previously approved by the director of Whyte Ridge soccer and the recreational soccer director of the district. Any outstanding payments should be completed before that, otherwise, players will not be placed on a team. This is to make sure all players that registered in time will be playing. If approval is granted for late registration, there will be an additional fee of $40 charged and only online payment will be accepted.
First Come, First Served
U9-U10 teams are restricted to a maximum team size of 12 players, U11-U12 – maximum of 14 players, and U13 to U18 maximum – 18 players. Therefore, when we have more players registered than our rosters permit, our conveners will work with the conveners within the district to place these players on another team to ensure that everyone has a chance to play soccer and that the teams are balanced within the district.
- Registrations from players who live outside of the catchment of the Whyte Ridge community will not be counted towards the roster and will be cancelled. Be sure to register with your home community centre.
- As all registrations are time-stamped, registrants will be ranked from earliest registration time (date AND time) to latest. The number of registrants required to transfer will be selected from the latest registrant and up until the required number is reached. Registrations are not complete until payment is received. For offline payments, the date and time stamp would be when the cash or cheque is received.
- Children of volunteer coaches and/or members of the WRYS Organizing Committee are exempt from being transferred out of the area.
- Late registrations, if approved, will have an extra admin fee.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If you have been notified that your child will not be playing on a Whyte Ridge hosted team (and transferred to another community centre) you then have the following options:
- You may allow your child to be transferred out of Whyte Ridge to another community centre to play soccer. Your child will then play for that other community centre.
- If you don’t want your child transferred out of Whyte Ridge and you, therefore, wish to de-register your child, you must then submit a written request to the Director of Soccer (see the contacts area of the website) for de-registration and refund. All refunds will require the approval of the Director of Soccer. If the Director of Soccer approves the refund, it will be subject to an administrative fee. Additional fees may be levied once the season has started.
Proceed to Whyte Ridge Soccer registration page.
Volunteering as a coach, team manager or a convenor
If you are willing to become your child’s coach or simply want to help please visit Soccer Team Officials and Soccer Volunteers pages.
I keep hearing about RDT soccer. What is it and how it is related to WR soccer?
RDT or former Winnipeg mini-soccer program was founded by Riccardo De Thomasis more than 20 years ago (!) and was one of the first in the city of this kind. Here is a story about Ricardo – Beloved soccer coach’s name lives on in Winnipeg
RDT is primarily a mini soccer skill-development program. Their regular season runs October-April on Fridays and Saturdays from Subway Soccer Complex in the University of Manitoba. In summer RDT has a short mini soccer program for U4-U11 players on Saturdays and an advanced skill training program for U7-U11 on Sundays. No games between other clubs, just practice and scrimmage at the end of each session. They also provide special training to older children 12-14 years old upon request. Please visit RDT website to learn more – http://rdtminisoccer.com
Due to the fact that many of our players previously played in RDT league, we decided to cooperate with them to increase soccer presence in our community. This also gives the kids who want to improve their skills to do that in WR as an alternative for losing them to WSEU or Bonivital developmental leagues. RDT’s amazing head coaches and assistant coaches have many years of teaching soccer at various levels, and many of them still play in top Manitoba adult leagues.
Also, RDT is running a soccer camp in Whyte Ridge – http://whyteridge.ca/wp-cc/activities/camps/.